Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Bone

Photobucket

There is a story behind the bone, oh not this one but one I gave her at Christmas. We had ham for our dinner at Christmas with a big bone in it. I boiled it and got all the excess ham off before giving it to her. I was busy with something on the computer so I wasn't paying any attention to her or the bone. The next thing I know she only has about 3 inches left from the bone that started out being 8 inches long. Now who would have thought a dog could eat a bone that fast? I had to trick her to get the rest of it away from her, she had tried to bury it in the covers on the couch. So while we took a trip outside my dh did away with the rest.
Then come the next morning with many trips outside to get rid of the effects of the bone, she even woke me up twice in the night to go outside. (which she never does) This continued into the next day although I wise up a bit (I know a bit late, lol) and only gave her a little plain rice to see if that would stay down. Called the vet for advice and was told to continue with nothing my mouth for 24 hrs. Did you know that ham is toxic to a dogs liver? Well, I know one thing she will never get another ham bone for now on it is only the raw hide ones. So you can see that is why she was enjoying this one so much.
Photobucket
Photobucket

9 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh wow I had no idea ham was toxic to a dogs liver...

Love these pics though :)

Chreamps said...

Glad that she is okay! I didn't know that about ham and will watch it from now on. I hate to tell you this but the rawhide ones can be dangerous, too. Our lab almost choked to death on one once. Our vet told us he always advised not to give them those. Just keep an eye on her and don't let her swallow it.

Iris said...

Here in Germany they say you can give your dog every meat except pork. But we have had the same with Mexx a couples day ago, he got a knuckle of veal bone, but inside there was some mark and a few hours later he felt so bad! I never give him a bone!
Love your photos!

Jane said...

I didn't know that either. I am glad that she's ok! And i'm sure she loved this bone, because it was HUGE!

Hugs from Jane

Mommy Spice said...

I don't know if you have a Costco nearby, but they have cow shin bones that are filled with yummy stuff, and our lab LOVES them. She also loves pig ears. The pig ears last about 2 minutes, but the cow shin bones actually take her some time.

anyway, Great pictures! I'm glad that she is safe and sound!

Tanya J. said...

I had no idea either, Thanks for the tip. My MIL has 4 dogs and I don't think she knows either :(

Cute photos :D

Sarah C. (my4hens) said...

Awww poor baby, I am glad she is gonna be okay. I can only imagine how scary that must have been for oyu. I had no idea about the ham either!

CrayonQueen said...

Oh wow, I didn't know that about the bones either! I'm glad that your dog is feeling better now! It's so scary when a pet becomes ill!!!

Jamie said...

Poor puppy! I had no idea about ham bones. Our dogs love those giant rawhide ones though. Great shots and thanks for the story. She's a beautiful dog.